ABC Awards: Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
Overview of the Course
This course provides the learner with the opportunity to develop counselling skills, demonstrate knowledge of counselling theories and gain a greater understanding of self. You will be expected to complete written work and engage in practical experiential skills development to meet the assessment criterion for overall assessment for this qualification.
Who is this course for
- This qualification is for those who wish to acquire a range of counselling skills for use in other areas of work, e.g. teachers, social workers, learning support workers, pastoral and management roles.
- For learners who wish to start their journey towards becoming a qualified counsellor. A Level 3 counselling qualification is a prerequisite to gaining access on a Level 4 Counselling Diploma course.
What topics will I study
Understanding the context for the use of counselling skills
This unit is intended to deepen your understanding of the differences between a person who uses counselling skills in another occupation and a fully trained and qualified counsellor. You will explore key legal and ethical issues based on an ethical framework for counselling and psychotherapy in a multi-cultural and diverse society. The need for and the importance of casework supervision will be highlighted.
Understanding counselling theory
In this unit, you will study one major therapeutic model of counselling in depth to empower the you to reflect constructively on its value and use when working with people. You will also reflect on two other therapeutic models of counselling to raise awareness of other models.
Using counselling skills
Through practice, you will explore a range of skills used within the counselling profession. Additionally, you will understand that sessions in which counselling skills are used are professionally managed activities with a start, middle and end. Cultural differences are recognised, acknowledged and worked with.
In this unit, learners reflect on how the study of counselling theory, the use of counselling skills and feedback received can inform personal development and growth, in particular their understanding of self.
Personal development for users of counselling skills
It is important that you have some prior knowledge of counselling skills and theory and have acquired a Level 2 qualification in Counselling or equivalent. You will also be required to complete an application, followed by an interview.
What are the entry requirements
You will be required to complete an application form and an attend interview prior to the start of the course. This is to ensure ALL applicants understand the nature of the course and the level of commitment required.
- You must be 18+ to start this course.
- You should have completed and passed a Level 2 counselling course or Recognised Prior Learning (RPL).
- Emotional stability. This qualification is not suitable for those who are currently in a stage of severe emotional difficulty and or severe psychological confusion. This is because the course involves experiential elements, which will require some personal disclosure and associated personal development activities.
- A readiness to embark on the next stage of counselling training.
- Ability to form a helping relationship.
- Able to cope with course content.
- Can speak and write English at a Level 2 and above.
Attendance and commitment is essential on this course. Minimum attendance required is 90%.
Course duration and date:
The course runs on a Monday over 31 weeks. It is divided into 3 terms – 2 terms x 10 weeks and 1 term x 11 weeks. You will be required to commit to 5 Saturday sessions, spread across the 3 terms. At this time dates/times are subject to change.
- Monday 13th January 2020 17.30 – 21.30
- Monday 20th April 2020 17.30 – 21.30
- Monday 9th September 2020 17.30 – 21.30
Attendance and commitment is essential on this course. Minimum attendance required is 90%. Groups are likely to be fairly small consisting of 8 – 12 people.
Fees are £1250, this includes ABC Awards registration fee.
Full payment of £1250 paid before the start of the course.
A deposit of £312.50, followed by a further 3 payments. For further details please contact Administration.
A monthly plan is available. A deposit is required. For further details please contact Administration.
Successful completion of this qualification can lead into a variety of different roles and employment opportunities where helping skills are required.
For those who wish to pursue a counselling career then this qualification is the stepping stone to the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (the industry required practitioner qualification).